[Numpy-discussion] NumPy steering councils members

Julian Taylor jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com
Fri Jul 21 10:58:19 EDT 2017

On 21.07.2017 08:52, Ralf Gommers wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> It has been well over a year since we put together the governance
> structure and steering council
> (https://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy-dev/dev/governance/people.html#governance-people).
> We haven't reviewed the people on the steering council in that time.
> Based on the criteria for membership I would like to make the following
> suggestion (note, not discussed with everyone in private beforehand):
>
> Adding the following people to the steering council:
> - Eric Wieser
> - Marten van Kerkwijk
> - Stephan Hoyer
> - Allan Haldane

Eric and Marten have only been members with commit rights for 6 months,
While they have been contributing and very valuable to the project for
significantly longer, I do think this it is a bit to short time to be
considered for the steering council.
I certainly approve of them becoming members at some point, but I do
want to avoid the steering council to grow to large to quick as long as
it does not need more members to do its job.
What I do want to avoid is that the steering council becomes like our
committers list, a group that only grows and never shrinks as long as
the occasional heartbeat is heard.

That said if we think the current steering council is not able to fulfil
its purpose I do offer my seat for a replacement as I currently have not
really been contributing much.

cheers,
Julian