[Numpy-discussion] Dropping support for Accelerate

Ilhan Polat ilhanpolat at gmail.com
Sat Jul 22 06:50:41 EDT 2017

A few months ago, I had the innocent intention to wrap LDLt decomposition
routines of LAPACK into SciPy but then I am made aware that the minimum
required version of LAPACK/BLAS was due to Accelerate framework. Since then
I've been following the core SciPy team and others' discussion on this
issue.

We have been exchanging opinions for quite a while now within various SciPy
issues and PRs about the ever-increasing Accelerate-related issues and I've
compiled a brief summary about the ongoing discussions to reduce the
clutter.

First, I would like to kindly invite everyone to contribute and sharpen the
cases presented here

https://github.com/scipy/scipy/wiki/Dropping-support-for-Accelerate

The reason I specifically wanted to post this also in NumPy mailing list is
to probe for the situation from the NumPy-Accelerate perspective. Is there
any NumPy specific problem that would indirectly effect SciPy should the
support for Accelerate is dropped?