[Numpy-discussion] proposed changes to array printing in 1.14

Juan Nunez-Iglesias jni.soma at gmail.com
Fri Jun 30 22:23:05 EDT 2017

I agree that shipping a sane/sanitising doctest runner would go 95% of the way to alleviating my concerns.

Regarding 2.0, this is the whole point of semantic versioning: downstream packages can pin their dependency as 1.x and know that they
- will continue to work with any updates
- won’t make their users choose between new NumPy 1.x features and running their software.

The Python 3.x transition was a huge fail, but the version numbering was not the problem.

I do have sympathy for Ralf’s argument that "exact repr's are not part of the NumPy (or Python for that matter) backwards compatibility guarantees”. But it is such a foundational project in Scientific Python that I think extreme care is warranted, beyond any official guarantees. (Hence this thread, yes. Thank you!)

Incidentally, I don’t think "array( 1.)” is such a tragic repr fail. I actually would welcome it because I’ve tried to JSON-serialise these buggers quite a few times because I didn’t realise they were 0d arrays instead of floats. So why exactly is it so bad that there is a space there?

Anyway, all this is (mostly) moot if the next NumPy ships with this doctest++ thingy. That would be an enormously valuable contribution to the whole ecosystem.

Thanks,

Juan.