[Numpy-discussion] Move scipy.org docs to Github?

Pauli Virtanen pav at iki.fi
Thu Mar 16 17:08:31 EDT 2017

Thu, 16 Mar 2017 08:15:08 +0100, Didrik Pinte kirjoitti:
>> The advantage of something like github pages is that it's big enough
>> that it *does* have dedicated ops support.
>
> Agreed. One issue is that we are working with a lot of legacy. Github
> will more than likely be a great solution to host static web pages but
> the evaluation for the shift needs to get into all the funky legacy
> redirects/rewrites we have in place, etc. This is probably not a real
> issue for docs.scipy.org but would be for other services.

IIRC, there's not that many of them, so in principle it could be possible
to cobble them with <meta> redirects.

>> As long as we can fit under the 1 gig size limit then GH pages seems
>> like the best option so far... it's reliable, widely understood, and
>> all of the limits besides the 1 gig size are soft limits where they say
>> they'll work with us to figure things out.
>
> Another option would be to just host the content under S3 with
> Cloudfront.
> It will also be pretty simple as a setup, scale nicely and won't have
> much restrictions on sizing.

Some minor-ish disadvantages of this are that it brings a new set of
credentials to manage, it will be somewhat less transparent, and the
tooling will be less familiar to people (eg release managers) who have to
deal with it.