[Numpy-discussion] PyData Barcelona this May

Jaime Fernández del Río jaime.frio at gmail.com
Fri Mar 17 07:37:30 EDT 2017

Last night I gave a short talk to the PyData Zürich meetup on Julian's
temporary elision PR, and Pauli's overlapping memory one. My learnings from
that experiment are:

   - there is no way to talk about both things in a 30 minute talk: I
   barely scraped the surface and ended up needing 25 minutes.
   - many people that use numpy in their daily work don't know what strides
   are, this was a BIG surprise for me.

Based on that experience, I was thinking that maybe a good topic for a
workshop would be NumPy's memory model: views, reshaping, strides, some
hints of buffering in the iterator...

And Julian's temporary work lends itself to a very nice talk, more on
Python internals than on NumPy, but it's a very cool subject nonetheless.

So my thinking is that I am going to propose those two, as a workshop and a
talk. Thoughts?

Jaime

On Thu, Mar 9, 2017 at 8:29 PM, Sebastian Berg <sebastian at sipsolutions.net>
wrote:

> On Thu, 2017-03-09 at 15:45 +0100, Jaime Fernández del Río wrote:
> > There will be a PyData conference in Barcelona this May:
> >
> > http://pydata.org/barcelona2017/
> >
> > I am planning on attending, and was thinking of maybe proposing to
> > organize a numpy-themed workshop or tutorial.
> >
> > My personal inclination would be to look at some advanced topic that
> > I know well, like writing gufuncs in Cython, but wouldn't mind doing
> > a more run of the mill thing. Anyone has any thoughts or experiences
> > on what has worked well in similar situations? Any specific topic you
> > always wanted to attend a workshop on, but were afraid to ask?
> >
> > Alternatively, or on top of the workshop, I could propose to do a
> > talk: talking last year at PyData Madrid about the new indexing was a
> > lot of fun! Thing is, I have been quite disconnected from the project
> > this past year, and can't really think of any worthwhile topic. Is
> > there any message that we as a project would like to get out to the
> > larger community?
> >

> Francesc already pointed out the temporary optimization. From what I
> remember, my personal highlight would probably be Pauli's work on the
> memory overlap detection. Though both are rather passive improvements I
> guess (you don't really have to learn them to use them), its very cool!
> And if its about highlighting new stuff, these can probably easily fill
> a talk.
>
> > And if you are planning on attending, please give me a shout.
> >

> Barcelona :). Maybe I should think about it, but probably not.
>

> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jaime
> >
> > --
> > (\__/)
> > ( O.o)
> > ( > <) Este es Conejo. Copia a Conejo en tu firma y ayúdale en sus
> > planes de dominación mundial.

(\__/)