[Numpy-discussion] Fwd: [numfocus] Grants up to $3k available to NumFOCUS projects (sponsored & affiliated)

Julian Taylor jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com
Mon Mar 27 06:33:01 EDT 2017

I have two ideas under one big important topic: make numpy python3
compatible.

The first fits pretty well with the grant size and nobody wants to do it
for free:
- fix our text IO functions under python3 and support multiple
encodings, not only latin1.
Reasonably simple to do, slap encoding arguments on the functions,
generate test cases and somehow keep backward compatibility. Some
prelimary unfinished work is in https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/4208

- add ascii/latin1 dtype to support a compact python3 string array,
deprecate 's' dtype which has different meaning in python2 and 3
This one is probably too big for 3k though.