[Numpy-discussion] Fwd: [numfocus] Grants up to $3k available to NumFOCUS projects (sponsored & affiliated)

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Fri Mar 31 04:14:55 EDT 2017

On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 11:42 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
wrote:

> On Mon, Mar 27, 2017 at 11:33 PM, Julian Taylor <
> jtaylor.debian at googlemail.com> wrote:
>
>> I have two ideas under one big important topic: make numpy python3
>> compatible.
>>
>> The first fits pretty well with the grant size and nobody wants to do it
>> for free:
>> - fix our text IO functions under python3 and support multiple
>> encodings, not only latin1.
>> Reasonably simple to do, slap encoding arguments on the functions,
>> generate test cases and somehow keep backward compatibility. Some
>> prelimary unfinished work is in https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/4208
>

> I like that idea, it's a recurring pain point. Are you interested to work
> on it, or are you thinking to advertise the idea here to see if anyone
> steps up?

More thoughts on this anyone? Or preferences for this idea or the numpy.org
one? Submission deadline is April 3rd and we can only put in one proposal
this time, so we need to (a) make a choice between these ideas, and (b)
write up a proposal.

If there's not enough replies to this so the choice is clear cut, I will
send out a poll to the core devs.

Ralf