[Numpy-discussion] Proposal: np.search() to complement np.searchsorted()

Eric Wieser wieser.eric+numpy at gmail.com
Tue May 9 19:36:42 EDT 2017

I don’t think that np.search is really solving the same problem as
find_first would.

IMO, we should solve that problem with an argfirst(bool_array, axis=0,
keepdims=False) -> intp function, with almost the same semantics as argmax,
but special-casing an array of Falses, to return bool_array.shape[axis].

Eric
​