[Numpy-discussion] UC Berkeley hiring developers to work on NumPy

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Sun May 14 01:45:53 EDT 2017

Hi all,

As some of you know, I've been working for... quite some time now to
try to secure funding for NumPy. So I'm excited that I can now
officially announce that BIDS [1] is planning to hire several folks
specifically to work on NumPy. These will full time positions at UC
Berkeley, postdoc or staff, with probably 2 year (initial) contracts,
and the general goal will be to work on some of the major priorities
we identified at the last dev meeting: more flexible dtypes, better
interoperation with other array libraries, paying down technical debt,
and so forth. Though I'm sure the details will change as we start to
dig into things and engage with the community.

More details soon; universities move slowly, so nothing's going to
happen immediately. But this is definitely happening and I wanted to
get something out publicly before the conference season starts – so if
you're someone who might be interested in coming to work with me and
the other awesome folks at BIDS, then this is a heads-up: drop me a
line and we can chat! I'll be at PyCon next week if anyone happens to
be there. And feel free to spread the word.

-n

[1] http://bids.berkeley.edu/