[Numpy-discussion] Compare NumPy arrays with threshold and return the differences

Nissim Derdiger NissimD at elspec-ltd.com
Wed May 17 12:50:40 EDT 2017

Hi,

In my script, I need to compare big NumPy arrays (2D or 3D), and return a list of all cells with difference bigger than a defined threshold.
The compare itself can be done easily done with "allclose" function, like that:
Threshold = 0.1
if (np.allclose(Arr1, Arr2, Threshold, equal_nan=True)):
    Print('Same')

But this compare does not return which cells are not the same.

The easiest (yet naive) way to know which cells are not the same is to use a simple for loops code like this one:
def CheckWhichCellsAreNotEqualInArrays(Arr1,Arr2,Threshold):
   if not Arr1.shape == Arr2.shape:
       return ['Arrays size not the same']
   Dimensions = Arr1.shape
   Diff = []
   for i in range(Dimensions [0]):
       for j in range(Dimensions [1]):
           if not np.allclose(Arr1[i][j], Arr2[i][j], Threshold, equal_nan=True):
               Diff.append(',' + str(i) + ',' + str(j) + ',' + str(Arr1[i,j]) + ','
               + str(Arr2[i,j]) + ',' + str(Threshold) + ',Fail\n')
       return Diff

(and same for 3D arrays - with 1 more for loop)
This way is very slow when the Arrays are big and full of none-equal cells.

Is there a fast straight forward way in case they are not the same - to get a list of the uneven cells? maybe some built-in function in the NumPy itself?
Thanks!
Nissim