[Numpy-discussion] Proposal of timeline for dropping Python 2.7 support

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Mon Nov 6 21:14:06 EST 2017

On Mon, Nov 6, 2017 at 6:37 PM, David Cournapeau <cournape at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 7, 2017 at 7:24 AM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov>
> wrote:
>
>> On Sun, Nov 5, 2017 at 10:25 AM, Charles R Harris <
>> charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>>>  the timeline I've been playing with is to keep Python 2.7 support
>>> through 2018, which given our current pace, would be for NumPy 1.15 and
>>> 1.16. After that 1.16 would become a long term support release with
>>> backports of critical bug fixes
>>>

>> +1
>>
>> I think py2.7 is going to be around for a long time yet -- which means we
>> really do want to keep the long term support -- which may be quite some
>> time. But that's doesn't mean people insisting on no upgrading PYthon need
>> to get the latest and greatest numpy.
>>
>> Also -- if py2.7 continues to see the use I expect it will well past when
>> pyton.org officially drops it, I wouldn't be surprised if a Python2.7
>> Windows build based on a newer compiler would come along -- perhaps by
>> Anaconda or conda-forge, or ???
>>

> I suspect that this will indeed happen. I am aware of multiple companies
> following this path already (building python + numpy themselves with a
> newer MS compiler).

I think Anaconda is talking about distributing a compiler, but what that
will be on windows is anyone's guess. When we drop 2.7, there is a lot of
compatibility crud that it would be nice to get rid of, and if we do that
then NumPy will no longer compile against 2.7. I suspect some companies
have just been putting off the task of upgrading to Python 3, which should
be pretty straight forward these days apart from system code that needs to
do a lot of work with bytes.

Chuck