[Numpy-discussion] Proposal of timeline for dropping Python 2.7 support

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Mon Nov 13 13:04:31 EST 2017

On Fri, Nov 10, 2017 at 2:03 PM, Robert McLeod <robbmcleod at gmail.com> wrote:

> Pip repo names and actual module names don't have to be the same.  One
> potential work-around would be to make a 'numpylts' repo on PyPi which is
> the 1.17 version with support for Python 2.7 and bug-fix releases as
> required.  This will still cause regressions but it's a matter of modifying
> `requirements.txt` in downstream Python 2.7 packages and not much else.
>
> E.g. in `requirements.txt`:
>
> numpy;    python_version>"3.0"
> numpylts; python_version<"3.0"

Can't we handle this with numpy versioning?

IIUC, numpy (py3 only) and numpy (LTS) will not only support different
platforms, but also be different versions. So if you have py2 or py2+3 code
that uses numpy, it will have to specify a <= version number anyway.

Also -- I think Nathaniel's point was that wheels have the python version
baked in, so pip, when run from py2, should find the latest py2 compatible
numpy automagically.

And thanks for writing this up -- LGTM

-CHB

--

Christopher Barker, Ph.D.
Oceanographer

Emergency Response Division
7600 Sand Point Way NE   (206) 526-6329   fax

Chris.Barker at noaa.gov