[Numpy-discussion] Type annotations for NumPy

Matthew Rocklin mrocklin at gmail.com
Sat Nov 25 18:31:13 EST 2017

Can you make a case for the usefulness numpy annotations? What benefits to
you want to achieve and how will annotation aid in getting there.

   1. Error checking on large codebases with systems like MyPy
   2. Hinting and error checking at code-writing time with systems like
   Jedi "Hey, this function expects a 2-d square array but you just passed in
   a 3d array with irregular sizes"
   3. Supporting systems like the Cython compiler with type information,
   allowing them to speedup pure-python code without switching to the Cython
   language