[Numpy-discussion] Deprecate matrices in 1.15 and remove in 1.17?

Todd toddrjen at gmail.com
Thu Nov 30 11:23:44 EST 2017

On Nov 30, 2017 09:24, "Marten van Kerkwijk" <m.h.vankerkwijk at gmail.com>
wrote:

Hi All,

I wondered if the move to python3-only starting with numpy 1.17 would
be a good reason to act on what we all seem to agree: that the matrix
class was a bad idea, with its overriding of multiplication and lack
of support for stacks of matrices. For 1.17, minimum python supposedly
is >=3.5, so we will be guaranteed to have the matrix multiply
operator @ available, and hence there is arguably even less of a case
for keeping the matrix class; removing it would allow taking out quite
a bit of accumulated special-casing (the immediate reasons for writing
this were gh-10123 and 10132).

What do people think? If we do go in this direction, we might want to
add PendingDeprecationWarning for 1.15 (maybe DeprecationWarning for
python3; for python2 matrix would never disappear).

All the best,

Marten

I still think moving it out into its own package would be better, making it
clear that anyone who cares about the class should step up because numpy
developers will not do any additional work on it. Similar to how weave was
handled with scipy.

So simultaneous with the deprecation you release a package with the matrix
class. Then people have until the deprecation period is over to port (which
should just be a matter of changing the imports).