[Numpy-discussion] numpy grant update

Marten van Kerkwijk m.h.vankerkwijk at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 16:14:58 EDT 2017

Hi Nathaniel,

Thanks for the link. The plans sounds great! You'll not be surprised
to hear I'm particularly interested in the units aspect (and, no, I
don't mind at all if we can stop subclassing ndarray...). Is the idea
that there will be a general way for allow a dtype to define how to
convert an array to one with another dtype? (Just as one now
implicitly is able to convert between, say, int and float.) And, if
so, is the idea that one of those conversion possibilities might
involve checking units? Or were you thinking of implementing units
more directly? The former would seem most sensible, if only so you can
initially focus on other things than deciding how to support, say, esu
vs emu units, or whether or not to treat radians as equal to
dimensionless (which they formally are, but it is not always handy to
do so).

Anyway, do keep us posted! All the best,

Marten