[Numpy-discussion] Changing the return type of np.histogramdd

Eric Wieser wieser.eric+numpy at gmail.com
Thu Apr 26 02:00:01 EDT 2018

For precision loss of the order of float64 eps, I disagree.

I was thinking more about precision loss on the order of 1, for large
64-bit integers that can’t fit in a float64

Note also that #10864 <https://github.com/numpy/numpy/issues/10864> incurs
deliberate precision loss of the order 10**-6 x smallest bin, which is also
much larger than eps.

It’s also possible to refer users to scipy.stats.binned_statistic

That sounds like a good idea to do irrespective of whether histogramdd has
problems - I had no idea those existed. Is there a precedent for referring
to more feature-rich scipy functions from the basic numpy ones?
​