[Numpy-discussion] Adoption of a Code of Conduct

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Wed Aug 1 11:33:25 EDT 2018

Hi,

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 4:12 PM, Nathan Goldbaum <nathan12343 at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 9:49 AM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com> wrote:
>>

>> On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 12:20 AM, Nathan Goldbaum <nathan12343 at gmail.com>
>> wrote:
>>>
>>> I realize this was probably brought up in the discussions about the scipy
>>> code of conduct which I have not looked at, but I’m troubled by the
>>> inclusion of “political beliefs” in the document.
>>

>> It was not brought up explicitly as far as I remember.
>>

>>> See e.g.
>>> https://github.com/jupyter/governance/pull/5
>>

>> That's about moving names around. I don't see any mention of political
>> beliefs?
>

> Sorry about that, I elided the 6. This is the correct link:
>
> https://github.com/jupyter/governance/pull/56
>

>>> As a thought experiment, what if someone’s political beliefs imply that
>>> other contributors are not deserving of human rights? Increasingly ideas
>>> like this are coming into the mainstream worldwide and I think this is a
>>> real concern that should be considered.
>>

>> There is a difference between having beliefs, and expressing those beliefs
>> in ways that offends others. I don't see any problem with saying that we
>> welcome anyone, irrespective of political belief. However, if someone starts
>> expressing things that are intolerant (like someone else not deserving human
>> rights) on any of our communication forums or in an in-person meeting, that
>> would be a clear violation of the CoC. Which can be dealt with via the
>> reporting and enforcement mechanism in the CoC.
>>
>> I don't see a problem here, but I would see a real problem with removing
>> the "political beliefs" phrase.
>

> For another perspective on this issue see
> https://where.coraline.codes/blog/oscon/, where Coraline Ada describes her
> reasons for not speaking at OSCON this year due to a similar clause in the
> code of conduct.

I agree with Ralf.  From your link:

"""
But the inclusion of this language, making political affiliation a
protected class, leads me to believe that alt-right technologists
would be as welcome at the conference as I would be. Including
alt-right technologists who display on their clothing, for example,
neo-Nazi insignia. Or t-shirts printed with anti-trans or anti-Black
slogans. These could easily be interpreted as protected political
speech.
"""

That's the point.  If you wear a t-shirt with anti-trans or anti-Black
slogans to a Scipy event covered by the code of conduct, that would
qualify as 'expressing things that are intolerant', as Ralf put it.

Cheers,

Matthew