[Numpy-discussion] Adoption of a Code of Conduct

Nathaniel Smith njs at pobox.com
Thu Aug 2 18:27:12 EDT 2018

On Wed, Aug 1, 2018 at 10:04 PM, Robert Kern <robert.kern at gmail.com> wrote:
> A CoC has to pull a kind of double
> duty: be friendly enough to digest for a newcomer and also be helpful to
> project organizers to make tough balancing decisions. We don't have to
> expect each sentence to pull that double duty on its own. I don't quite know
> what the phrasing would be (because, again, we don't run conferences), but I
> think we could make a statement that explicitly disclaims that we will be
> using "viewpoint diversity" to provide a platform for viewpoints
> antithetical to the CoC.
>
> None of these categorizations listed should be interpreted as
> get-out-of-jail-free cards for otherwise unwelcoming behavior, and I think
> maybe we should be explicit about that. Our diversity statement is an
> aspiration, not a suicide pact. Religion, neurotype, national origin, and
> subculture (4chan is a subculture, God help us), at minimum, are all items
> on that list that I have personally seen used to justify shitty behavior.
> Political belief is far from unique (nor the most common excuse, in my
> experience) in that list. But they all deserve to be on that list. I want
> the somewhat fringy progressive hacktivist to feel comfortable here as well
> as people more mainstream.

This all seems very sensible to me.

In personal projects I use the WeAllJS CoC, because I think it does a
good job of giving clear guidance on behavior and non-scary
enforcement examples, while also avoiding legalism and being clear
that trying to game the rules won't work. It might be a good source of
inspiration here:

https://github.com/WeAllJS/weallbehave/blob/latest/CODE_OF_CONDUCT.md

-n