[Numpy-discussion] Adoption of a Code of Conduct

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Fri Aug 3 14:48:05 EDT 2018

On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 11:39 AM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov> wrote:

> On Fri, Aug 3, 2018 at 11:20 AM, Chris Barker <chris.barker at noaa.gov>
> wrote:
>
>> Given Jupyter, numpy, scipy, matplotlib?, etc, are all working on a CoC
>> -- maybe we could have NumFocus take a lead on this for the whole community?

Nelle is right about the process and community buy-in.

> or adopt an existing one, like maybe:
>
> The Contributor Covenant <http://www.contributor-covenant.org/> was
> adopted by several prominent open source projects, including Atom,
> AngularJS, Eclipse, and even Rails. According to Github, total adoption of
> the Contributor Covenant is nearing an astounding ten thousand open source
> projects.

The tone of the Contributor Covenant is far from good. All of this and more
was extensively discussed when introducing the SciPy CoC. Can you please
read the mailing list discussion on scipy-dev before suggesting a major
change in direction?

Also keep in mind that the SciPy and NumPy communities strongly overlap,
and everyone was okay with the SciPy CoC. We're discussing one tweak to
that; removing two words or adding 1-2 sentences. It is counter-productive
to start from scratch.

Cheers,
Ralf