[Numpy-discussion] Convolution of NumPy arrays of arbitrary dimension

Foad Sojoodi Farimani f.s.farimani at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 03:44:27 EDT 2018

Hi Hameer,

Thanks for the reply. I have indeed seen scipy.ndimage.convolve and have
mentioned it in the OP
<https://stackoverflow.com/questions/51794274/convolution-of-numpy-arrays-of-arbitrary-dimension-for-cauchy-product-of-multiva>.
but some questions:

   1. although there is nothing about the dimension of the ndarrays in its
   official page
   <https://docs.scipy.org/doc/scipy-0.16.1/reference/generated/scipy.ndimage.filters.convolve.html>,
   but I haven't seen any examples showing it works with higher dimensions.
   2. the only generalization I know of is astropy.convolution
   <http://docs.astropy.org/en/stable/convolution/> which works up to 3D.
   3. what is the difference between seen scipy.ndimage
   and scipy.signal.convolve? It seems to me the later is for function
   analysis <https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Convolution> not array
   arithmetics.
   4. As I can see the term convolution, even for array, arithmetics has
   different meanings. For example there is
   also scipy.ndimage.filters.convolve which apparently calculate things in a
   different way. My final goal is do finite multivariate formal power series
   multiplication (Cauchy product). I think I have figured the formula out
   here
   <https://math.stackexchange.com/questions/2877478/cauchy-product-of-multivariate-formal-power-series>,
   but I'm not sure if it is correct completely. questions are:
      1. is my formula correct?
         - if not what is the correct one?
         2. if yes has this been done before?
      - if yes where? does any of the above functions do the job?
         3. if not is my implementation correct so far?
      4. how to finish the final step to populate the ndarray using the
      conv function?

Thanks a gain and looking forwards to hearing back.

Best,
Foad