[Numpy-discussion] Does numpy need a *.dist-info directory? What is the status of setuptools?

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 15:13:45 EDT 2018

On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 11:29 AM, Charles R Harris <
charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> Hi All,
>
> A question for any packaging gurus out there, should NumPy have a
> *.dist-info <https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0376/> directory? I note
> that currently we have a *.egg-info directory.

Those are both autogenerated, we don't have those in the repo. The current
state of our packaging is fine in that respect.

> I also have a question as to what role setuptools should have going
> forward. Should we still rely on them, or has pip matured to the degree
> that we no longer need it. Note that we will only be supporting Python >=
> 3.5 in the near future.

Pip is not a build tool, it invokes setuptools. The only viable alternative
to setuptools at the moment is scikit-build. But I'm not in a hurry to
switch, I'd rather try scikit-build on less critical packages than numpy
first.

Cheers,
Ralf