[Numpy-discussion] Does numpy need a *.dist-info directory? What is the status of setuptools?

Ralf Gommers ralf.gommers at gmail.com
Sat Aug 11 15:24:34 EDT 2018

On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 12:17 PM, Charles R Harris <
charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 1:13 PM, Ralf Gommers <ralf.gommers at gmail.com>
> wrote:
>

>> On Sat, Aug 11, 2018 at 11:29 AM, Charles R Harris <
>> charlesr.harris at gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>> Hi All,
>>>
>>> A question for any packaging gurus out there, should NumPy have a
>>> *.dist-info <https://www.python.org/dev/peps/pep-0376/> directory? I
>>> note that currently we have a *.egg-info directory.
>>>

>> Those are both autogenerated, we don't have those in the repo. The
>> current state of our packaging is fine in that respect.
>>

>>> I also have a question as to what role setuptools should have going
>>> forward. Should we still rely on them, or has pip matured to the degree
>>> that we no longer need it. Note that we will only be supporting Python >=
>>> 3.5 in the near future.
>>>

>> Pip is not a build tool, it invokes setuptools. The only viable
>> alternative to setuptools at the moment is scikit-build. But I'm not in a
>> hurry to switch, I'd rather try scikit-build on less critical packages than
>> numpy first.
>>

> I was more thinking of distutils vs setuptools, but maybe I am
> misunderstanding the relationship between the two.

We don't want to go back to distutils-only; there are some advantages to
setuptools and it's gotten less bad at breaking numpy.distutils over the
last years. And anyway, even if we would switch away from setuptools, pip
will enable setuptools before calling our own setup.py and at that point
setuptools has already done its monkeypatch-distutils dance. So there's no
point avoiding setuptools.

Ralf