[Numpy-discussion] Proposal to accept NEP-18, __array_function__ protocol

Stephan Hoyer shoyer at gmail.com
Mon Aug 20 11:57:09 EDT 2018

On Mon, Aug 20, 2018 at 8:27 AM Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Ping to finish up this discussion so we can come to a conclusion. I'm in
> favor of the NEP, as I don't see it as orthogonal to Nathaniel's concerns.
> However, we might want to be selective as to which functions we expose via
> the `__array_function__` method.

Chunk -- thanks for bringing this back up.

My proposal is to hide this feature behind an environment variable for now,
or something morally equivalent to an environment variable if that's too
slow (i.e., an explicit Python variable). I don't think Nathaniel's
concerns are entirely warranted for the reasons I went into in my earlier
reply, but I do really want to get this moving forward now in whatever way
is necessary. We can figure out the rest down the road.

Nathaniel -- are you OK with that?

> Here is Travis Oliphant's talk at PyBay
> <https://speakerdeck.com/teoliphant/ml-in-python>, where he talks about
> the proliferation of arrays and interfaces in the ML/AI ecosystem among
> other things. I think that we should definitely try to get NumPy out there
> as an option in the near future.

Yes, there is an urgent need for this :).

Cheers,
Stephan