[Numpy-discussion] Hoop jumping, and other sports

Allan Haldane allanhaldane at gmail.com
Wed Feb 7 18:35:23 EST 2018

On 02/07/2018 04:26 PM, Charles R Harris wrote:
> Hi All,
>
> I was thinking about things to do to simplify the NumPy development
> process. One thing that came to mind was our use of prefixes on commits,
> BUG, TST, etc. Those prefixes were originally introduced by David
> Cournapeau when he was managing releases in order help him track commits
> that might need backports. I like the prefixes, but now that we are
> organized by PRs, rather than commits, the only place we really need
> them, for some meaning of "need", is in the commit titles, and
> maintainers can change and edit those without problems. So I would like
> to propose that we no longer be picky about having them in the commit
> summary line. Furthermore, that got me thinking that there are probably
> other things we could do to simplify the development process. So I'd
> like folks to weigh in with other ideas for simplification or complaints
> about nit picky things that have annoyed them.
>
> Chuck

When I was first contributing, the main obstacle was not the nitpicks
but reading through all the contributor guidelines pages, as well as
learning github. I also remember finding it hard to find that
documentation in the first place.

It is at
https://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/dev/index.html
and a shorter summary at
https://docs.scipy.org/doc/numpy/dev/gitwash/development_workflow.html

Maybe we should have a much more prominent link about how to contribute,
eg on the main "README.md" front page, or at the start of the user
guide, which links to a "really really" short contributing guide for
someone who does not use github, maybe a screenful or two only. Even the
short development workflow above has lots of info that usually isn't
needed and takes a long time to read through.

Allan