[Numpy-discussion] NumPy 1.14.0 release

Matthew Brett matthew.brett at gmail.com
Sun Jan 14 06:35:15 EST 2018

Hi,

On Sun, Jan 14, 2018 at 3:35 AM, Eric Wieser
<wieser.eric+numpy at gmail.com> wrote:
> Did recarrays change? I didn’t see anything in the release notes.
>
> Not directly, but structured arrays did, for which recarrays are really just
> a thin and somewhat buggy wrapper.

Oh dear oh dear - for some reason I had completely missed these
changes, and the justification for them.

They do exactly the kind of thing that Konrad Hinsen was complaining
about before, with justification, which is to change the behavior of
previous code, without an intervening (long) period of raising an
error.  In this case, the benefits of these changes seem small,
compared to the inevitable breakage and silently changed results they
will cause.

Is there any chance of reversing them?

Cheers,

Matthew