[Numpy-discussion] Setting custom dtypes and 1.14

josef.pktd at gmail.com josef.pktd at gmail.com
Mon Jan 29 23:50:46 EST 2018

On Mon, Jan 29, 2018 at 10:44 PM, Allan Haldane <allanhaldane at gmail.com>
wrote:

> [...]
>> padded
>>         > views that breaks and AFAICS, there is no way in numpy 1.14.0
>> to compute
>>         > a mean of some "columns". (I don't have numpy 1.14 to try or
>> find a
>>         > workaround, like maybe looping over all relevant columns.)
>>         >
>>         > Josef
>>
>>         Just to clarify, structured types have always had padding bytes,
>>         that
>>         isn't new.
>>
>>         What *is* new (which we are pushing to 1.15, I think) is that it
>>         may be
>>         somewhat more common to end up with padding than before, and
>>         only if you
>>         are specifically using multi-field indexing, which is a fairly
>>         specialized case.
>>
>>         I think recfunctions already account properly for padding bytes.
>>         Except
>>         for the bug in #8100, which we will fix, padding-bytes in
>>         recarrays are
>>         more or less invisible to a non-expert who only cares about
>>         dataframe-like behavior.
>>
>>         In other words, padding is no obstacle at all to computing a
>>         mean over a
>>         column, and single-field indexes in 1.15 behave identically as
>>         before.
>>         The only thing that will change in 1.15 is multi-field indexing,
>>         and it
>>         has never been possible to compute a mean (or any binary
>>         operation) on
>>         multiple fields.
>>

>>     from the example in the other thread
>>     a[['b', 'c']].view(('f8', 2)).mean(0)
>>

>>     (from the statsmodels usecase:
>>     read csv with genfromtext to get recarray or structured array
>>     select/index the numeric columns
>>     view them as standard array
>>     do whatever we can do with standard numpy  arrays
>>     )
>>

> Oh ok, I misunderstood. I see your point: a mean over fields is more
> difficult than before.
>
> Or, to phrase it as a question:
>>
>> How do we get a standard array with homogeneous dtype from the
>> corresponding elements of a structured dtype in numpy 1.14.0?
>>
>> Josef
>>

> The answer may be that "numpy has never had a way to that",
> even if in a few special cases you might hack a workaround using views.
>
> That's what your example seems like to me. It uses an explicit view, which
> is an "expert" feature since views depend on the exact memory layout and
> binary representation of the array. Your example only works if the two
> fields have exactly the same dtype as each other and as the final dtype,
> and evidently breaks if there is byte padding for any reason.
>
> Pandas can do row means without these problems:
>
>     >>> pd.DataFrame(np.ones(10, dtype='i8,f8')).mean(axis=0)
>
> Numpy is missing this functionality, so you or whoever wrote that example
> figured out a fragile workaround using views.

Once upon a time (*) this wasn't fragile but the only and recommended way.
Because dtypes were low level with clear memory layout and stayed that way,
it was easy to check item size or whatever and get different views on it.
e.g.
https://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2008-December/039340.html

(*) pre-pandas, pre-stackoverflow on the mailing lists which was for me
roughly 2008 to 2012
but a late thread
https://mail.scipy.org/pipermail/numpy-discussion/2015-October/074014.html
"What is now the recommended way of converting structured dtypes/recarrays
to ndarrays?"

> I suggest that if we want to allow either means over fields, or conversion
> of a n-D structured array to an n+1-D regular ndarray, we should add a
> dedicated function to do so in numpy.lib.recfunctions
> which does not depend on the binary representation of the array.

I don't really want to defend an obsolete (?) usecase of structured dtypes.

However, I think there should be a decision about the future plans for
whether dataframe like usages of structure dtypes or through higher level
classes or functions are still supported, instead of removing slowly and
silently (*) the foundation for this use case, either support this usage or
say you will be dropping it.

(*) I didn't read the details of the release notes

And another footnote about obsolete:
Given that I'm the only one arguing about the dataframe_like usecase of
recarrays and structured dtypes, I think they are dead for this specific
usecase and only my inertia and conservativeness kept them alive in
statsmodels.

Josef