[Numpy-discussion] backwards compatibility and deprecation policy NEP

Stephan Hoyer shoyer at gmail.com
Mon Jul 23 17:32:02 EDT 2018

On Mon, Jul 23, 2018 at 1:45 PM Marten van Kerkwijk <
m.h.vankerkwijk at gmail.com> wrote:

> That sentence I think covers it very well. Subclasses can and should be
> expected to evolve along with numpy, and if that means some numpy-version
> dependent parts, so be it (we have those now...).

My hope would be that NumPy gets out of the business of officially
providing interfaces like subclassing that are this hard to maintain. In
general, we try to hold ourselves to a higher standard of stable code, and
this sets up unfortunate conflicts between the needs of different NumPy
users.

It is just that one should not remove functionality without providing the
> better alternative!

Totally agreed!