[Numpy-discussion] Roadmap proposal, v3

Chris Barker - NOAA Federal chris.barker at noaa.gov
Wed Jul 25 11:13:26 EDT 2018

Great work, thanks!

I see this:

 “- Fixed width encoded strings (utf8, latin1, ...)”

And a bit of discussion in the PR.

But I think there are key questions to be addressed in handling strings in
numpy. I know we’ve had a lot of discussion about it on this list over the
years — but is there a place that has captured that discussion / and or we
can start a new one?

For example, I am very wary of putting a non-fixed width encoding (e.g.
Utf-8) in a fixed width field.

But this PR is not the place to discuss that.

-CHB

Sent from my iPhone

On Jul 24, 2018, at 3:21 PM, Hameer Abbasi <einstein.edison at gmail.com>