[Numpy-discussion] A roadmap for NumPy - longer term planning

Todd toddrjen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 11:27:52 EDT 2018

On Thu, May 31, 2018, 19:50 Matti Picus <matti.picus at gmail.com> wrote:

> At the recent NumPy sprint at BIDS (thanks to those who made the trip)
> we spent some time brainstorming about a roadmap for NumPy, in the
> spirit of similar work that was done for Jupyter. The idea is that a
> document with wide community acceptance can guide the work of the
> full-time developer(s), and be a source of ideas for expanding
> development efforts.
>
> I put the document up at
> https://github.com/numpy/numpy/wiki/NumPy-Roadmap, and hope to discuss
> it at a BOF session during SciPy in the middle of July in Austin.
>
> Eventually it could become a NEP or formalized in another way.
>
> Matti

Some things I have seen mentioned but don't know the current plans for:

* Categorical arrays
* Releasing the GIL wherever possible
* Using multithreading internally
* making use of the next generation blas when available and stay involved
in planning to make sure it supports our needs
* Figure out where to use Cython and were not to