[Numpy-discussion] A roadmap for NumPy - longer term planning

Todd toddrjen at gmail.com
Fri Jun 1 11:48:32 EDT 2018

On Fri, Jun 1, 2018, 11:27 Todd <toddrjen at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Thu, May 31, 2018, 19:50 Matti Picus <matti.picus at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> At the recent NumPy sprint at BIDS (thanks to those who made the trip)
>> we spent some time brainstorming about a roadmap for NumPy, in the
>> spirit of similar work that was done for Jupyter. The idea is that a
>> document with wide community acceptance can guide the work of the
>> full-time developer(s), and be a source of ideas for expanding
>> development efforts.
>>
>> I put the document up at
>> https://github.com/numpy/numpy/wiki/NumPy-Roadmap, and hope to discuss
>> it at a BOF session during SciPy in the middle of July in Austin.
>>
>> Eventually it could become a NEP or formalized in another way.
>>
>> Matti
>>

> Some things I have seen mentioned but don't know the current plans for:
>
> * Categorical arrays
> * Releasing the GIL wherever possible
> * Using multithreading internally
> * making use of the next generation blas when available and stay involved
> in planning to make sure it supports our needs
> * Figure out where to use Cython and were not to

Also:

* Figure out the best way to handle strings.  This may involve multiple
approaches for different situations but the current approach may not be the
best default approach.
* Decimal and/or rational arrays
* if yes to labeled arrays, then there should probably be a pep about
label-based indexing
* A decision about how to handle numpy 2.0