[Numpy-discussion] NEP: Random Number Generator Policy

Robert Kern robert.kern at gmail.com
Mon Jun 11 03:33:08 EDT 2018

wrote:

>> Puzzlingly, the root sin of unconditionally and unavoidably reseeding
for some of these functions is still there even though I showed how and why
to avoid it. This is one reason why I was skeptical that merely documenting
RandomState or StableRandom to only be used for unit tests would work. :-)

> Well, no matter what we do, I'm sure that there'll be lots of people who
will still get it wrong:)

Exactly! This is why I objected to leaving RandomState completely alone and
just documenting it for use to generate test data. Inevitably, people will
"get it wrong", so we need to design in anticipation of these failure modes
and provide ways to work around them.

>> Sure. But with my new proposal, we don't have to change it (as much as
I'd like to!). I'll draft up a PR to modify my NEP accordingly.

> Sounds good!

Thanks! Your and Josef's feedback on these points has been very helpful.

--
Robert Kern