[Numpy-discussion] A little about XND

Travis Oliphant teoliphant at gmail.com
Mon Jun 18 01:32:00 EDT 2018

On Sun, Jun 17, 2018, 7:48 PM Marten van Kerkwijk <m.h.vankerkwijk at gmail.com>
wrote:

> Hi Travis,
>
> More of a detailed question, but as we are currently thinking about
> extending the signature of gufuncs (i.e., things like `(m,n),(n,p)->(m,p)`
> for matrix multiplication), and as you must have thought about this for
> libgufunc, could you point me to how one would document the signature in
> your new system? (I briefly tried but there's no docs yet and I couldn't
> immediately find it in the code). If it is at all similar to numpy's and
> you have extended it, we should at least check whether we can do the same
> thing.

I have been reading with interest these gufunc proposals and have pointed
it out to the gumath devs.  Right now, gumath doesn't go much beyond
NumPy's syntax except for use of a more extensible type system.  It uses
the same notion of the dimension signature, though with a syntax derived
from datashape which you can read more about here:
http://datashape.readthedocs.io/en/latest/

Stefan Krah, Pearu, or Saul may have more comments.

Thanks,

-Travis