[Numpy-discussion] NEP 21: Simplified and explicit advanced indexing

Juan Nunez-Iglesias jni.soma at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 02:24:13 EDT 2018

> Plain indexing arr[...] should return an error for ambiguous cases.
> [...] This includes every use of vectorized indexing with multiple
> integer arrays.
This line concerns me. In scikit-image, we often do:

rr, cc = coords.T  # coords is an (n, 2) array of integer coordinates
values = image[rr, cc]

Are you saying that this use is deprecated? Because we love it at scikit-
image. I would be very very very sad to lose this syntax.
> The current plain indexing allows for the use of non-tuples for multi-
> dimensional indexing.
I believe this paragraph is itself deprecated? Didn't non-non-tuple
indexing just get deprecated with 1.15?

Other general comments:
- oindex in general seems very intuitive and I'm :+1:
- I would much prefer some extremely compact notation such as arr.ox[]
  and arr.vx.- Depending on the above concern I am either -1 or (-1/0) on the
  deprecation. Deprecating (all) old vindex behaviour doesn't seem to
  bring many benefits while potentially causing a lot of pain to
  downstream libraries.
Juan.