[Numpy-discussion] NEP 21: Simplified and explicit advanced indexing

Andrew Nelson andyfaff at gmail.com
Tue Jun 26 03:30:01 EDT 2018

On Tue, 26 Jun 2018 at 17:12, Eric Wieser <wieser.eric+numpy at gmail.com>
wrote:

> > I don't think it should be relegated to the "officially discouraged"
> ghetto of `.legacy_index`
>
> The way I read it, the new spelling lof that would be the explicit but not
> discouraged `image.vindex[rr, cc]`.

If I'm understanding correctly what can be achieved now by `arr[rr, cc]`
would have to be modified to use `arr.vindex[rr, cc]`, which is a very
large change in behaviour. I suspect that there a lot of situations out
there which use `arr[idxs]` where `idxs` can mean one of a range of things
depending on the code path followed. If any of those change, or a mix of
nomenclatures are required to access the different cases, then havoc will
probably ensue.