[Numpy-discussion] NEP 21: Simplified and explicit advanced indexing

Sebastian Berg sebastian at sipsolutions.net
Tue Jun 26 03:57:07 EDT 2018

On Tue, 2018-06-26 at 17:30 +1000, Andrew Nelson wrote:
> On Tue, 26 Jun 2018 at 17:12, Eric Wieser <wieser.eric+numpy at gmail.co
> m> wrote:
> > > I don't think it should be relegated to the "officially
> > discouraged" ghetto of `.legacy_index`
> >
> > The way I read it, the new spelling lof that would be the explicit
> > but not discouraged `image.vindex[rr, cc]`.
> >

> If I'm understanding correctly what can be achieved now by `arr[rr,
> cc]` would have to be modified to use `arr.vindex[rr, cc]`, which is
> a very large change in behaviour. I suspect that there a lot of
> situations out there which use `arr[idxs]` where `idxs` can mean one
> of a range of things depending on the code path followed. If any of
> those change, or a mix of nomenclatures are required to access the
> different cases, then havoc will probably ensue.

Yes, that is true, but I doubt you will find a lot of code path that
need the current indexing as opposed to vindex here, and the idea was
to have a method to get the old behaviour indefinitely. You will need
to add the `.vindex`, but that should be the only code change needed,
and it would be easy to find where with errors/warnings.
I see a possible problem with code that has to work on different numpy
versions, but only in meaning we need to delay deprecations.

The only thing I could imagine where this might happen is if you
forward someone elses indexing objects and different users are used to
different results.
Otherwise, there is mostly one case which would get annoying, and that
is `arr[:, rr, cc]` since `arr.vindex[:, rr, cc]` would not be exactly
the same. Because, yes, in some cases the current logic is convenient,
just incredibly surprising as well.

- Sebastian