[Numpy-discussion] NEP 21: Simplified and explicit advanced indexing

Sebastian Berg sebastian at sipsolutions.net
Tue Jun 26 04:41:24 EDT 2018

On Tue, 2018-06-26 at 04:23 -0400, Hameer Abbasi wrote:
> > Boolean indices are not supported. All indices must be integers,
> integer arrays or slices.
>
> I would hope that there’s at least some way to do boolean indexing. I
> often find myself needing it. I realise that
> `arr.vindex[np.nonzero(boolean_idx)]` works, but it is slightly too
> verbose for my liking. Maybe we can have `arr.bindex[boolean_index]`
> as an alias to exactly that?

That part is limited to `vindex` only. A single boolean index would
always work in plain indexing and you can mix it all up inside of
`oindex`. But with fancy indexing mixing boolean + integer seems
currently pretty much useless (and thus the same is true for `vindex`,
in `oindex` things make sense).
Now you could invent some new logic for such a mixing case in `vindex`,
but it seems easier to just ignore it for the moment.

- Sebastian