[Numpy-discussion] Polynomial evaluation inconsistencies

Ilhan Polat ilhanpolat at gmail.com
Sat Jun 30 15:08:17 EDT 2018

I think restricting polynomials to time series is not a generic way and
quite specific.

Apart from the series and certain filter design actual usage of polynomials
are always presented with decreasing order (control and signal processing
included because they use powers of s and inverse powers of z if needed).
So if that is the use case then probably it should go under a namespace of
`TimeSeries` or at least require an option to present it in reverse.  In my
opinion polynomials are way more general than that domain and to everyone
else it seems to me that "the intuitive way" is the decreasing powers.

For the design

> This isn't a great design, because they represent:
>    p(x) = c[0] * x^2 + c[1] * x^1 + c[2] * x^0

I don't see the problem actually. If I ask someone to write down the
coefficients of a polynomial I don't think anyone would start from c[2].

On Sat, Jun 30, 2018 at 8:30 PM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com