[Numpy-discussion] Splitting MaskedArray into a separate package

Stefan van der Walt stefanv at berkeley.edu
Wed May 23 16:51:16 EDT 2018

Hi Eric,

On May 23, 2018 13:25:44 Eric Firing <efiring at hawaii.edu> wrote:

> On 2018/05/23 9:06 AM, Matti Picus wrote:
> I understand at least some of the motivation and potential advantages,
> but as it stands, I find this NEP highly alarming.

I am not at my computer right now, so I will respond in more detail later.
But I wanted to address your statement above:

I see a NEP as an opportunity to discuss and flesh out an idea, and I
certainly hope that you there's no reason for alarm.

I do not expect to know whether this is a good idea before discussions
conclude, so I appreciate your feedback. If we cannot find good support for
the idea, with very specific benefits, it should simply be dropped.

But, I think there's a lot to learn from the conversation in the meantime
w.r.t. exactly how streamlined people want NumPy to be, how core
functionality can perhaps be strengthened by becoming a customer of our own
API, how to optimally maintain sub-components, etc.

Best regards,
Stéfan