[Numpy-discussion] Splitting MaskedArray into a separate package

Sebastian Berg sebastian at sipsolutions.net
Thu May 24 11:31:10 EDT 2018

On Wed, 2018-05-23 at 23:48 +0200, Sebastian Berg wrote:
> On Wed, 2018-05-23 at 17:33 -0400, Allan Haldane wrote:

<snip>

> If we do not plan to replace it within numpy, we need to discuss a
> bit
> how it might affect infrastructure (multiple implementations....).
>
> There is the other discussion about how to replace it. By opening
> up/creating new masked dtypes or similar (cool but unclear how
> complex/long term) or `__array_ufunc__` based (relatively simple,
> will
> get rid of the nastier hacks that are currently needed).
>
> Or even both, just on different time scales?

I also somewhat like the idea of taking it out (once we have a first
replacement) in the case that we have a plan to do a better/lower level
replacement at a later point within numpy.
Removal generally has its merits, but if a (mid term) replacement will
come in any case, it would be nice to get those started first if
possible.
Otherwise downstream might end up having to fix up things twice.

- Sebastian