[Numpy-discussion] Splitting MaskedArray into a separate package

Allan Haldane allanhaldane at gmail.com
Thu May 24 16:23:07 EDT 2018

On 05/24/2018 11:31 AM, Sebastian Berg wrote:

> I also somewhat like the idea of taking it out (once we have a first
> replacement) in the case that we have a plan to do a better/lower level
> replacement at a later point within numpy.
> Removal generally has its merits, but if a (mid term) replacement will
> come in any case, it would be nice to get those started first if
> possible.
> Otherwise downstream might end up having to fix up things twice.
>
> - Sebastian

Yes, I think the way forward is to start working on a new masked array
while keeping the old one in place.

Once it has progressed a little and we can step back and look at it, we
can consider how to switch over. I imagine we would have both present in
numpy under different names for a while.

Also, I think it would be nice to work on it soon because it is a chance
for us to eat our own dogfood in the __array_ufunc__ interface, which is
not yet set in stone so we can fix any problems we discover with it.

Allan