[Numpy-discussion] Where to discuss NEPs (was: Re: new NEP: np.AbstractArray and np.asabstractarray)

Charles R Harris charlesr.harris at gmail.com
Tue May 29 12:24:08 EDT 2018

On Tue, May 29, 2018 at 9:46 AM, Stephan Hoyer <shoyer at gmail.com> wrote:

> Reviving this discussion --
> I don't really care what our policy is, but can we make a decision one way
> or the other about where we discuss NEPs? We've had a revival of NEP
> writing recently, so this is very timely.
>
> Previously, I was in slight favor of doing discussion on GitHub. Now that
> I've started doing a bit of NEP writing, I've started to swing the other
> way, since it would be nice to be able to reference draft/rejected NEPs in
> a consistent way -- and rendered HTML is more readable than raw RST in pull
> requests.

My understanding of the discussion at the sprint was that we favored quick
commits of NEPs with extended discussions of them on the list. Updates and
changes would go in through the normal PR process. In practice, I expect
there will be some overlap, I think the important thing is the quick commit
with the understanding that the NEPs are only proposals until formally
adopted. I think the formal adoption process is not well defined...

<snip>

Chuck