[Numpy-discussion] asarray/anyarray; matrix/subclass

Marten van Kerkwijk m.h.vankerkwijk at gmail.com
Sun Nov 11 10:47:55 EST 2018

Hi Eric,

Thanks very much for the detailed response; it is good to be reminded that
`MaskedArray` is used in a package that, indeed, (nearly?) all of us use!

But I do think that those of us who have been trying to change MaskedArray,
are generally good at making sure the tests continue to pass, i.e., that
the behaviour does not change (the main exception in the last few years was
that views should be taken of masks too, not just the data).

I also think that between __array_ufunc__ and __array_function__, it has
become quite easy to ensure that one no longer has to rely on `np.ma`
functions, i.e., that the regular numpy functions will do the right thing.
But it will need work to actually implement that.

All the best,

Marten