[Numpy-discussion] lstsq underdetermined behaviour

Romesh Abeysuriya romesh.abey at gmail.com
Mon Nov 19 00:15:33 EST 2018

Thanks both! Yes, I guess it's typically 'least squares' referring to
the residual vector, and 'minimum norm' referring to the solution
vector. That's certainly how the documentation for `dgelsd` frames it.
In my case, the minimum norm solution can be sensibly interpreted (and
in particular, it guarantees that the solution is 0 for missing
variables), so it's great to know that I can rely on this being
returned

Cheers,
Romesh