[Numpy-discussion] Approving NEP 27 - Historical discussion of 0-D arrays

Hameer Abbasi einstein.edison at gmail.com
Wed Oct 17 14:34:04 EDT 2018

Hi everyone,

Ah, I neglected to see that the PR was already merged. In any case, I’ll repeat my comment here (referring to the indexing section):

I would suggest that this section be removed entirely or updated. For example, if xis either an array scalar or a rank zero array, x[...] is guaranteed to be an array and x[()]is guaranteed to be a scalar. The difference is because x[{anything here}, ...] is guaranteed to be an array. In words, if the last index is an ellipsis, the result of indexing is guaranteed to be an array.

I came across this weird behaviour when implementing the equivalent of np.wherefor PyData/Sparse.

Best Regards,
Hameer Abbasi