[Numpy-discussion] Reminder: weekly status meeting

Stefan van der Walt stefanv at berkeley.edu
Fri Oct 26 13:03:14 EDT 2018

Hi Hameer,

On Fri, 26 Oct 2018 10:47:09 +0200, Hameer Abbasi wrote:
> The only core functionality dependent on scipy.sparse is matrix
> multiplication and the like. Everything else is for inter-operability.

Thank you for commenting here.

As you know, I am enthusiastic about seeing an `sparray` equivalent to
`spmatrix`.  When we last spoke, my recollection was that it would be
beneficial to `pydata/sparse`.  Is this still correct?

If not, are we now in a situation where it would be more helpful to
build `sparray` based on `pydata/sparse`.

If we can have a good sparse array API in place in SciPy, it may
significantly simplify code in various other libraries (I'm thinking of
scikit-learn, e.g.).

Best regards,
Stéfan