[Numpy-discussion] Depreciating asfortranarray and ascontiguousarray

Travis Oliphant teoliphant at gmail.com
Fri Oct 26 19:26:51 EDT 2018

What is the justification for deprecation exactly?  These functions have
been well documented and have had the intended behavior of producing arrays
with dimension at least 1 for some time.  Why is it unexpected to produce
arrays of at least 1 dimension?  For some users this is exactly what is
wanted.  I don't understand the statement that behavior with 0-d arrays is
unexpected.

If the desire is to shrink the API of NumPy, I could see that.   But, it
seems odd to me to remove a much-used function with an established behavior
except as part of a wider API-shrinkage effort.

0-d arrays in NumPy are a separate conversation.  At this point, I think it
was a mistake not to embrace 0-d arrays in NumPy from day one.  In some
sense 0-d arrays *are* scalars at least conceptually and for JIT-producing
systems that exist now and will be growing in the future, they can be
equivalent to scalars.

The array scalars should become how you define what is *in* a NumPy array
making them true Python types, rather than Python 1-style "instances" of a
single "Dtype" object.  You would then have 0-d arrays and these Python
"memory" types describing what is *in* the array.

There is a clear way to do this, some of which has been outlined by
Nathaniel, and the rest I have an outline for how to implement.  I can
advise someone on how to do this.

-Travis