[Numpy-discussion] Reminder: weekly status meeting

Hameer Abbasi einstein.edison at gmail.com
Sat Oct 27 04:29:01 EDT 2018

> On Saturday, Oct 27, 2018 at 12:10 AM, Stefan van der Walt <stefanv at berkeley.edu (mailto:stefanv at berkeley.edu)> wrote:
> On Sat, 27 Oct 2018 10:27:49 +1300, Ralf Gommers wrote:
> > Just to make sure we're talking about the same things here: Stefan, I think
> > with "sparray" you mean "an n-D sparse array implementation that lives in
> > SciPy", nothing more specific? In that case pydata/sparse is the one
> > implementation, and including it in scipy.sparse would make it "sparray".
> > I'm currently indeed leaning towards depending on pydata/sparse rather than
> > including it in scipy.
>
> I want to double check: when we last spoke, it seemed as though certain
> refactorings inside of SciPy (specifically, sparray was mentioned) would
> simplify the life of pydata/sparse devs. That no longer seems to be the
> case?

Hi! I can’t recall having said this, perhaps you inferred it from the docs (it’s on the front page, so that isn’t unreasonable). We should update that sometime.

That said, we use very little of scipy.sparse in PyData/Sparse. When Matt Rocklin was maintaining the project, that was the case, but even in the later days he shifted much of his code to pure NumPy. I followed that path further, not out of unwillingness to depend on it, but out of desire for generality.

In its current state, the only things in PyData/Sparse that depend on scipy.sparse are:
Conversion to/from scipy.sparse spmatrix classes
A bit of linear algebra i.e. dot, tensordot, matmul.

Best Regards,
Hameer Abbasi