[Numpy-discussion] A minor milestone

Chris Barker chris.barker at noaa.gov
Mon Sep 10 15:09:45 EDT 2018

On Sat, Sep 8, 2018 at 9:17 PM, Charles R Harris <charlesr.harris at gmail.com>
wrote:

> There are probably a LOT of Windows users getting numpy from conda as well.
>>
>> I wonder if the conda folks have some statistics?

I'm sure there is a better way that I don't know, but anaconda.org does
post number of downloads of pacakges:

https://anaconda.org/search?q=+numpy

So you've got conda-forge, and anaconda (which I think is the "default"
channel for conda and Anaconda users) and even an Intel version -- that's a
lot.

But we have the CI problem -- conda-forge, for instance, uses CIs to build
packages that depend on numpy -- so a LOT of those are downloaded to build
other packages -- Im guessing that's why conda-forge has the most downloads
of numpy (by a factor of 4) I suspect end users actually use defaults'
numpy more.

You can also see downloads by file for a given channel:

https://anaconda.org/conda-forge/numpy/files?sort=ndownloads&sort_order=desc&version=1.15.1

Which shows that py3 Linux is the most popular -- but again, probably CIs
heavily influence that.

Close-ish second is Linux py2.7, but 3.6 has 1.3 times as many -- so as the
OP said -- py3 is seeing a lot of use!

Even stronger for os-x

I have no idea what conclusions to draw from any of this, but if someone
can find an API to get this data, we could do more.

And I think there's an issue with Windows and py2.7 -- it doesn't show up
at all (probably the whole openblas / old compiler issue). So we dont know
the stats for 2.7 vs 3.6 on Windows.

-CHB