[Numpy-discussion] Tidelift

Andy Ray Terrel andy.terrel at gmail.com
Tue Sep 18 17:58:31 EDT 2018

On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 4:55 PM Stephan Hoyer <shoyer at gmail.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Sep 18, 2018 at 12:26 PM Stephan Hoyer <shoyer at gmail.com> wrote:
>
>> Tidelift is a startup trying to make open source software more
>> sustainable by selling an open source subscription that pays maintainers.
>>
>> NumPy is eligible for a guaranteed $10,000 over 24 months -- are we
>> interesting in signing up?
>> https://blog.tidelift.com/1m-to-pay-open-source-maintainers-on-tidelift
>> https://tidelift.com/lifter/search/pypi/numpy
>>
>> It looks like they've started out focused on web development. NumPy is
>> the only project I see listed in the scientific computing space.
>>

> It occurs to me that NumFOCUS is probably worth looping into any such
> discussion, given the strong overlap between Tidelift and NumFOCUS's goals
> and the nature of our NumFOCUS affiliation.

Yeah I'm reaching out to Don as we speak. I've known him for a number of
years and chatted about NumFOCUS working with Tidelift last year but this
program didn't exist.  I think the real game changer is having an automated
way to scan a clients code base and spit out the dependencies. I would love
to have that to take to every institute we work with. "Here NASA if you
don't support these codes the next rover could die" =D