[Numpy-discussion] Proposal to accept NEP-18, __array_function__ protocol

Stephan Hoyer shoyer at gmail.com
Fri Sep 21 11:54:47 EDT 2018

On Thu, Sep 20, 2018 at 2:05 PM Stephan Hoyer <shoyer at gmail.com> wrote:

> I've gone ahead and merged the PR to mark the NEP as accepted. Let's get
> started on the fun part of implementation!
>
> Cheers,
> Stephan

I have started implementing NEP-18 in a pull request:
https://github.com/numpy/numpy/pull/12005

I propose a multi-step process for implementation:
1. Write a correctly working version of the core __array_function__
machinery in pure Python, adapted from the example implementation in the
NEP.
2. Rewrite bottlenecks in C.
3. Implement overrides for various NumPy functions.

I think the first step is mostly complete, but I'm particularly looking for
help with the second and third steps, which should be able to happen
incrementally and in parallel.

Cheers,
Stephan